Return to GHC!Grays Harbor College

Site Map | Contact Us | Apply Online

Answers to common questions...

Re: Financial Aid

May 1 is the priority date for submitting financial aid forms to ensure that students are considered for the maximum amount of available aid. Forms are accepted after the priority date but financial assistance may not be plentiful.

FAFSA processing time: mail – within 4 weeks; online – within 2 weeks

Award letters are e-mailed beginning in May.

Financial aid (after tuition & fees are paid) will be available through your Higher One account. Please see the Cashier if you have questions about Higher One.

Students who have been suspended from financial aid eligibility should speak to the Financial Aid Office for individual assistance regarding their options.

Student Emergency Loan forms are available at the Admissions & Records Office, Business Office (Cashiers), and the Financial Aid Office. The loan is for tuition only. Students must pay for their fees at the time they apply for the loan.

Students interested in student employment should visit the Human Resources Office to see which positions are available and to begin the application process.

Financial aid enrollment definitions:
Full time – 12+ credits
¾ time – 9-11 credits
½ time – 6-8 credits

The Hope Scholarship is not a scholarship; it is actually a tax credit a student and/or parent may be able to take on their tax return. The Business Office will mail the 1098T forms to students by January 31st. Any questions regarding eligibility for the Hope Scholarship should be directed to a tax consultant.


Re: Academic/Vocational Courses & Degrees

    The GHC General Catalog lists the classes required for each degree. A degree audit will determine which classes are still necessary to complete a degree.

    Degree Audits are accessed through the Student Records Kiosk at GHC’s home page on the Internet using a Global PIN and SID or by filling out a request from the Admission & Records Office.

    The Student Support Center has detailed information about how GHC courses transfer.

    The Student Support Center, Workforce Education and the GH Career Transition Center (533-9413) can give you information on the job opportunities with a degree.

    Contact the Student Support Center to speak with a counselor about career exploration and obtain information about taking a career guidance inventory. Also, you can enroll in a career/life options class.

    Fill out a “change form” at Admissions and Records or the Student Support Center to change majors or advisors


Re: Registration

    After you take the College Placement Test an appointment will be made with an entry advisor to register.

    Advisors assist the student in planning a course of study. Students are assigned an advisor after their entry advising session.

    GHC offers distance learning opportunities such as interactive television (ITV), courses on the Internet, and off-site courses are available. Consult the class schedule for more information.

    Students taking 21 or more credits require approval of the Vice President of Instruction or designee.

    The tentative Annual Class Schedule (Adobe Acrobat format) has a list of courses scheduled for the entire academic year.

    Students receiving the reduced senior citizen rate register the sixth day of classes each quarter.


Re: Business Office/Cashier's Office

    Payments of all tuition and fees can be made in person, with a credit card on-line (no PIN required), or by telephone with the Cashier’s Office;

    Student Emergency Loan applications are available, (for tuition only – students must pay fees when they apply for the loan). All payments for Emergency Loans are made at this office;

    Parking permits are given out and parking fines are paid;

    Bus passes (stickers for student ID cards) are available;

    Checks available to students are disbursed with picture identification;

    Students who pick up financial aid checks may be required to provide an Attendance Form that has been signed by their instructors. Students should be referred to the Cashier’s Office to find out if this is required;

    The HOPE Scholarship is not a scholarship but a tax credit. Students receive form 1098-T which is based upon data provided by the Business Office. Questions about the information reported on these forms should be referred to the Business Office


Re: Miscellaneous Questions

    Textbooks are available for purchase about one week before the first day of classes. Keep your sales receipt!! Also, please bring a print out of your class schedule to the bookstore. This will help you find your books.

    Instructors’ office locations and phone numbers are listed in the Student Handbook and frequently on instructors’ syllabi. Notes can be left in the faculty mailboxes in the Administration Building. Many faculty also communicate via e-mail.

    Tutoring is free and available in variety of subjects. See the schedules outside of the Learning Center, Rm 1519. Other subjects to be tutored may be arranged individually through the Learning Center.

    “W” day is the last day in the quarter that a partial withdrawal from classes is allowed.

    To withdraw or drop a class an Add/Drop form is used. Last day to drop a class is “W” Day.

    A total withdrawal can be done up to the last day of the quarter by contacting the Student Support Center.

    Schedule of Final Exams are available in the class schedule and on the GHC Website.

    Academic probation is a step in the warning process, based on GPA that could lead to academic dismissal from college. Students may only receive aid for one quarter if on Financial Aid probation.

    “Book Buy-Back” is during the last 3 days of finals in fall, winter & spring quarters. Take your books to the bookstore. They buy back according to the needs for next quarter and certain conditions. The most you will receive is half of what you originally paid.


Page content maintained by: Nancy DeVerse and Gail Winkelman. 

return to previous page Return

Return to GHC!
Grays Harbor College
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive
Aberdeen WA 98520

(360) 532-9020
or toll-free (in WA state) (800) 562-4830

Fax: (360) 538-4299

Community Education Centers

Riverview Education Center, Raymond: 360-538-4023, Fax: 360-875-9467
Columbia Education Center, Ilwaco: 360-538-2539, Fax: 360-642-9434
Whiteside Continuing Education Center, Aberdeen: 360-538-4088, Fax: 360-533-9779

  Web site index


Add GHC as a friend on Facebook Follow GHC on Twitter   
Follow GHC on Facebook or Twitter  

Programs We Offer
Transfer Degrees
Job Training
ESL/Basic Skills/GED
Continuing Education
Support Services
Spellman Library
The Bookstore
Job Placement
The Learning Center

Student Activities
Calendar of Events
Performing Arts
Clubs & Organizations
Student Leadership
Community Resources
Performing Arts
Employment Opportunities
Driving Directions
Campus Map
About the Area
About GHC
Contact Information
Staff Directory
Faculty Office Hours
Offices and Departments
Executive Team
GHC Facilities
Fax Numbers

"" About Us | Site Map | Privacy Notice | Equal Opportunity Policy | ©2010 Grays Harbor College