Safety and Security
NOTE: Know the location of exits and pull
stations in your area. Fire extinguishers should only be used on small fires.
Make sure the fire department has been called prior to using a fire extinguisher
and you have received training on how to use a fire extinguisher.
CALL 911 TO REPORT ALL FIRES.
ALSO NOTIFY CAMPUS SWITCHBOARD – DIAL 0 OR 532-9020.
When you discover a fire:
· As you exit the building, pull the
fire alarm as you leave (if it can be done safely).
· Inform others to exit the building
immediately, using the nearest cleared exit.
· Go to the designated assembly area.
· Call the fire department (911) and
campus switchboard (Dial 0 or 532-9020) from another building/safe location.
Give your name, location of the fire and your telephone number.
· At the assembly areas, employees
· Account for all individuals under
their span of control.
· Report injuries, casualties, hazardous
conditions and missing individuals to the evacuation coordinator emergency
When a fire alarm goes off:
- Exit calmly and quickly to the nearest cleared exit.
- Assist others in your area, especially injured or
- Do not use elevators.
- Go to the designated assembly area.
- Call the fire department, 911 and campus switchboard
(Dial 0 or 532-9020) from another building/safe location. Give your name,
location of the fire alarm and your telephone number.
Do not return to the building until
instructed to do so by the fire department or evacuation coordinator.
Are Not Able to Evacuate
you are trapped on a floor or in a building, the following procedures should be
all doorknobs you encounter before opening any door. If it is hot, do not open the door.
Stay in that room.
- A. Seal
the cracks around the door with any available material.
- B. Call 911 and let them know your location and that you are unable to exit.
- C. Open the window a few inches for fresh air and hang an object out of the
window to alert the fire department to your location.
- D. Keep low to the floor and await evacuation by emergency personnel.
- If the doorknob is not hot, brace yourself behind the door and open it
slightly. If heat or heavy smoke is present, close the door and stay in
that room. Follow the procedures outlined in steps A - D above.
you are able to move around within the building, but can't exit, find a safe room farthest
from the fire and follow the procedures outlined in steps A - D above.