Grays Harbor College

Safety and Security

Hazardous Material Spills

Reporting a Hazardous Material Spill or Release

Report spills/releases of hazardous chemicals, suspected gas leaks, or suspicious odors to Campus Switchboard (Dial 0 or 532-9020).  Immediately call 911 if the spill/release presents an imminent danger (injuries, fire or explosion).

Hazardous Material Spill or Release on College Property

  • Evacuate the building/area immediately, and alert others to do the same.
  • Seal off a spill/release in a building by closing the door to the area.
  • Report the spill/release to 911 and Campus Switchboard (Dial 0 or 532-9020) from a safe location.
  • Move to an area at least 500 feet upwind from affected building/area, and keep streets, fire lanes, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel. Instructors and supervisors have the responsibility of assuring that all students and staff have evacuated their classrooms and work areas.
  • Call the Campus Operations Staff for technical and clean-up assistance.
  • Return to building(s) only when declared safe to occupy.
  • Spills of oil and hazardous materials must be reported to:  National Response Center (1-800-424-8802), Washington Emergency Management Division (1-800-258-5990) and Department of Ecology Northwest Region (1-360-407-6300).

Hazardous Material Spill or Release off College Property

This section is referring to an airborne chemical release caused by a natural disaster or an industrial, railway, or roadway accident occurring near College property.

  • Seek shelter inside a building.
  • Stay inside, do not evacuate buildings or "peek" outside buildings.
  • Close all building doors and windows. 
  • Wait for instructions from Evacuation Coordinators, Safety and Security Coordinator, Campus Operations Staff, Administrators, or Emergency Personnel.

Minor Hazardous Material Spill

  • Call the Campus Switchboard (Dial 0 or 532-9020) for Campus Operations Staff for assistance in assessing and cleaning up the spill.
  • Use appropriate personal protective equipment.
  • Contain the spill.
  • Clean up the spill using specific materials appropriate for the chemical(s) spilled.
  • Dispose of the contaminated spill material by contacting your supervisor.

Hazardous Materials Inventory & Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)

Know the location of department/division MSDS binder(s). Be familiar with the MSDS' and the potentially hazardous materials inventory contained in the binder(s).

Before handling any potentially hazardous material, read and understand the MSDS and product label.  Follow special handling instructions to prevent chemical exposure and accidents.

Contact the Safety and Security Coordinator for assistance regarding hazardous materials.




Grays Harbor College
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive
Aberdeen , WA 98520

(360) 532-9020 or toll-free (in WA state) 1-(800) 562-4830
Fax: (360) 538-4299

Off-Campus Locations

Riverview Education Center, Raymond: (360) 538-4023
Columbia Education Center, Ilwaco: (360) 538-2539
Whiteside Education Center, Aberdeen: (360) 538-4088