Return to Grays Harbor College

High School Equivalency (GED®)

Grays Harbor College offers the GED® for the Washington State High School Equivalency (GED®) exam.

To Register and/or schedule your High School Equivalency Exam at GHC:

 Go to: or call Pearson Vue Customer Service: 1-877-392-6433 (1-877-EXAMGED)

GHC strongly recommends taking the GED Online Tutorial before taking the High School Equivalency Exam.

If you need further information about High School Equivalency Exams at GHC, call the GHC Testing Center at (360) 538-4049.

For information about High School Equivalency Classes offered at GHC call (360) 538-4167.

Eligibility Requirements

According to Washington State law, the following individuals are eligible to take the High School Equivalency (GED®) Test (WAC131-48-100):

  • Any person age 16 through 18 who has not graduated from high school, is not enrolled in a public or private high school program, and who has been adjudged by a Washington State school district to have a substantial and warranted reason for leaving the regular high school education program. A "Request for Approval to Test" form must be signed by either the last Washington school district the applicant attended or the Washington school district in which the applicant currently resides and provided to the test center prior to testing; or

  • Any person age 16 through 18 who has completed a program of home-based instruction in compliance with RCW 28A.225.010 (4) as certified by the "written and notarized statement" of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who provided the home-based instruction; or

  • Any person 19 years or older who has not graduated from high school and is not enrolled in a public or private high school program.

  • Any person who is an active member of the military, national guard, or reserves.

  • Adjudicated youth under the director of prisons, jails, detention centers, parole and probation offices, and other corrections facilities while enrolled in school or ordered by a court or officer of the court.

These individuals must be residents of Washington State at the time of testing to be awarded a High School Equivalency (GED®) Certificate in this state (WAC 131-48-110).


Online Testing

The Washington State GED® Certificate can be neither earned nor obtained via the Internet or through correspondence programs. The General Educational Development (GED) Tests, developed by the GED Testing Service of the American Council on Education, require extensive preparation and the demonstration of a high level of high school knowledge and academic skills. The GED Tests are administered in Washington State only at Official GED Testing Centers under the direction of the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) and Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI). Any other high school equivalency certificate not issued by the SBCTC and OSPI or another jurisdictional GED testing authority may not be accepted by employers, colleges and universities, or the military.

The GED Test cannot be taken online; it has to be administered at an official GED Testing Center.

The GED certificate must be issued jointly by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges and the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Information You Need To Know

  • There are thousands of diploma mills that operate without supervision of a state or an accredited agency and grant diplomas that are fraudulent. Find out more about diploma mills and accreditation agencies from the U.S. Department of Education.

  • There are legitimate high school diploma programs online – but you will not just pay a fee and get a diploma. You have to take some sort of distance learning classes.

  • There are also legitimate GED preparation programs online – again, they are only preparation programs. You cannot take the official GED Tests online.

  • If you are not certain about a program online, please contact the State GED Administrator’s office or contact your local test center.

Persons needing a Request for Approval to Test form, must get the form from the school district.

To schedule an appointment go to or call Pearson Vue Customer Service: 1-877-392-6433 (1-877-EXAMGED). You will need a credit or debit card to be able to pay for your GED test. If you do not have a credit or debit card the Grays Harbor College Bookstore has GED vouchers for sale.   


Transcript service for or those who have tested in Washington after January 1, 2002.
GED® Transcripts

If you completed your GED®, please go to

Request Your Transcript
You will be asked to create an account to request your own transcript or to verify your GED® status in Washington. You must have an email address in order to create an account.

GED® records from other organizations and states

For GED® records from states other than Washington State.
For GED® records taken in the military or overseas.


GED® Testing Accommodations

We want all test-takers to have fair access to the tests. If you have a diagnosed learning disability, temporary or permanent physical disability, emotional/psychological/psychiatric disability, chronic health disability, or Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder you can request accommodations (note: all requests are considered on an individual basis).

All requests require a completed form and must go through an approval process. Find out more about steps to take to be considered for an accommodation, get the documentation guidelines, download forms, and access additional resources.

All request forms must be submitted to the testing center where you plan to test.