The Writing Center is a space for all Grays Harbor College students to work on their writing assignments and receive individual guidance from knowledgeable tutors.
The Writing Center can help with numerous aspects of writing, including:
The Writing Process
- Understanding assignments
- Reading & Note-taking
- Brainstorming & outlining
- Reflecting & revising
- Organizing main ideas
- Refining thesis statements
- Crafting introductions and conclusions
- Mastering citation styles (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.)
- Word choice
Hours of Operation
Mondays through Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The Writing Center will be closed on all days when campus is closed due to inclement weather or holidays, including February 19, 2018, and May 28, 2018. The Writing Center is open for the winter quarter from Wednesday, January 3, 2018, through March 22, 2018. The Writing Center will be open for the spring quarter from Monday, April 9, 2018 through Thursday, June 21.
How can I get assistance?
The Writing Center can help in two ways:
- Drop in.
Just drop in to get individualized assistance and advice, practice writing techniques, hone your knowledge and skills, and become a stronger, more confident, more successful writer. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t started your paper yet or if you’ve finished your final draft; we’ll be happy to give you feedback, talk through plans and ideas, and answer any questions you have.
You can make an appointment for a one-on-one consultation with a tutor. Appointments can be made for 20 or 50 minutes. Please call or stop by during operating hours to set up an appointment. We are only able to offer face-to-face, in-person appointments at this time.
ENGL 111 – Writing Lab
Students can enroll in ENGL 111 for 1 or 2 credits to earn credit for the work completed in the Writing Center. ENGL 111 counts for general elective credit in the AA degree and can be repeated for a maximum of 6 hours. For more information about ENGL 111, stop by or give us a call.
If you can't make it in to the center in person, consider these resources:
- The Purdue OWL (Purdue Online Writing Lab) is one of the most popular writing resources online, and it's free.
- eTutoring is a free tutoring service for all current Grays Harbor College students.
- The Spellman Library provides online access to books, articles, documents, audio and video recordings, and more for Grays Harbor College students for free. The library also provides useful information on citing sources, and you can chat with a librarian 24 hours a day for assistance.