The grants listed below are based on need and do not have to be repaid. The Pell Grant and State Need Grant are available only to students who have not received a previous bachelor degree. The State Need Grant also requires residency in Washington for one year.

Federal Pell Grants

Eligibility is determined from the information provided on the FAFSA. The maximum award for full-time, full year attendance 2017-2018 is $5,920.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This is a federal grant program that permits GHC to make awards to students with exceptional financial need who are unlikely to be able to attend without such assistance. These grants go to Pell Grant recipients first. These grants are awarded as $200 per quarter and a student must be enrolled at least half time (6+ credits) in order to receive this grant.

Washington College Grant

The Washington College Grant provides guaranteed college funding to all eligible residents of Washington State, including low and middle-income students.

Grants for Workforce Education

Four funding programs can help pay for training in any Professional/Technical degrees and certificates.

  • Basic Food Education & Training Program (BFET): Available to students receiving federally issued Basic Food Benefits (sometimes referred to as “food stamps”).
  • Opportunity Grant: Available to low-income adults pursuing an approved program.
  • WorkFirst Program:  Available to students on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
  • Worker Retraining Program: Available to students who receive or have exhausted unemployment benefits, are “displaced homemakers,” veterans, or formerly self-employed.

College Bound Scholarship Program

This program encourages low-income, middle school students in Washington State to choose a path that will lead to educational success after high school. It promises tuition (at public institution rates) and a small book allowance for income eligible students who sign up in the 7th or 8th grade, work hard in school, stay out of trouble, and successfully apply to a higher education institution when they graduate from high school. For more information please visit the official College Bound website.

Tuition and Fee Waivers

The Washington Legislature permits all community colleges to waive resident tuition fees for financially deserving students. The number of waivers that may be awarded each year is limited.