Assess Your Skills (CPT)
Attention: Placement Testing by Appointment Only
Due to COVID-19, placement testing is currently by appointment only. To schedule a placement test, call 360-538-4099. You can also find us through our Virtual Lobby.
Student Success is a high priority at Grays Harbor College. For students just starting at GHC, we want to do everything we can to make sure you get off to a great start and the College Placement Test (CPT) helps by measuring your current knowledge and skill in reading, English and math.
Important Information for Spring 2020
Grays Harbor College is in remote operations until May 4.
College Placement Test
We are offering remote testing for the college placement test. For information, please email your name and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through the Virtual Lobby. We look forward to serving you.
For English, you now have three options available.
- Remote Reading/Writing Assessment – Working with your advisor, you will determine the best placement based on previous coursework. For more details or to arrange a meeting with an advisor, contact email@example.com or see us in the Virtual Lobby.
- GPA Placement – If you’ve completed high school in the last two years, we can use your GPA to place you in a college English class. Talk to you advisor for details. Contact us at 360-538-4099 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If emailing, please be sure to include your name, telephone number, and question. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- We are also offering Accuplacer College Placement Testing through zoom. You must have a computer with camera and mic. Contact us for more details.
We will work with you to find the math class that is best for you. Email the Testing Center for additional information.
- Remote Math Placement – You can receive a math assignment from the Testing Center and submit it for review. For more details or to arrange a test, contact email@example.com.
- GPA Placement – If you’ve completed high school in the last two years, we can use your GPA to place you in a college math class. Talk to you advisor for details. Contact us at 360-538-4099 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name, telephone number, and question. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- We are also offering Accuplacer College Placement Testing through zoom. You must have a computer with camera and mic.
Who Needs to do College Placement Testing?
College Placement Testing is required of all students planning to register for a course that has a reading, English or math prerequisite. There are some exceptions.
Taking the Test
- Prepare for the Test - You want to do your best on the placement test so the scores provide an accurate assessment of your current skills and abilities. Keep in mind that this information will be used to help determine whether you need to take pre-college or college level courses.
- Pay for the Test -To make payment, you will need your student ID number. You can pay in person at the GHC Cashier’s Window or by calling 360-538-4040. The fee must be paid before taking the test. Grays Harbor College charges the following fees for taking the College Placement Test (CPT):
- Full CPT - $15.00
- Each Section - $5.00 (In certain situations, you may only need to take part of the CPT).
- Retakes - $5.00 per section with a maximum of $15.00
- Take the Test - The Student Support Center (located in the 100 Building) conducts computerized placement testing on a drop-in basis.
- Testing hours are Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. (except during the summer when the college is closed on Fridays).
- Photo ID is required
- The test is not timed but may take you approximately 1 1/2 hours to complete.
- You may not use calculators, dictionaries, notebooks or other papers except scrap paper provided by the Testing Center.