How to Apply for Running Start

Consulting your high school counselor is an important part of understanding your participation in Running Start.

  1. Apply for admission to Grays Harbor College.
  2. Determine Placement
    A student can use one or more of the following for placement:
    • HS transcript showing a grade of “B” or better in English (all HS years prior to entering RS) and a “B” or better in Algebra II or Advanced Algebra
    • Accuplacer college placement testing administered by GHC (Required)
    • Smarter Balanced scores of Level 3 or 4 in ELA and math qualify a student for college placement.
  3. Discuss placement with the Running Start Advisor and received registration paperwork.
  4. Meet with your high school counselor to inquire what high school credits are needed for graduation and discuss classes that may be equivalents at GHC.
  5. To register for classes make an appointment with the Running Start Advisor by calling 360.538.4248
  6. Gather signatures from your high school and guardian on the Verification Form and bring it back to GHC for final signatures. The Verification Form is your tuition payment.
  7. Pay Fees and pick up books before classes begin.
  8. Complete New Student Orientation online and attend Running Start Orientation at GHC (fall only).

Running start checklist