Fall 2020: Updates, Resources, and Information
Get Virtual Assistance
Virtual assistance for many student services is now being offered through Zoom virtual lobbies.
Instructions for students, employees, and guests planning a visit to campus or for on campus classes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions about the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and Grays Harbor College.
Fall Quarter Starts September 21st!
GHC faculty and staff are busy making final preparations for the start of fall quarter. In order to help you prepare, we’ve put together the following information.
Updates Have Been Made to the Fall Schedule
Updates have been made to the Fall Quarter Class Schedule. Classes will meet in one of three ways: Online, Remote, or Hybrid. The course Canvas page will provide information on how each class will run and how to access the information you will need to get started. Most courses will be published/available in Canvas at least a week in advance, all will be ready by the start of the quarter.
Make sure to check your schedule with updates on the Fall Quarter Class Schedule.
- ONLINE: Classes listed in the schedule with ONLINE showing under the day and time will be a traditional online class with asynchronous instruction. This means that all course material will be posted online and mapped out on the course calendar, but there will not be a set time when you have to meet as a class. Notes will be in the yellow information box on the class schedule.
- REMOTE: Classes listed in the schedule that have specific days and times will still be delivered online, but you will be required to meet as a class remotely using Zoom or another online meeting platform. Notes will be in the yellow information box on the class schedule.
- HYBRID: Classes listed in the schedule as HYBRID will meet either online OR remotely AND in-person. Only classes requiring hands-on learning will be listed as hybrid. Pay particular attention to classes in Welding, Automotive, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Art, Music, and the Sciences. There are a few courses that have one section as ONLINE and another section as HYBRID, so pay close attention to the notes. Make sure to go to the visiting campus page and read the rules for a safe return to campus. Notes will be in the yellow information box on the class schedule.
Again, there have been updates to some classes in the Fall Quarter Class Schedule. Take a look at the schedule so you will be prepared for classes starting September 21, 2020 and go to the website to read the rules for a safe return to campus for any in-person classes.
Campus Visit Information
For those students who will require access to campus, either because of a hands-on component to their class or as a one-time visit, we have put together instructions for students. Note, GHC campuses remain closed to the public, please do not attempt to visit a GHC Campus without the prior approval that comes from either being part of a class meeting on campus or with a confirmed appointment with a staff member. GHC has Virtual Assistance Lobbies open where staff will gladly answer any questions, please go to the Get Virtual Assistance web site where you can use Zoom or call-in for assistance.
There is Still Time to Register for Fall
If you haven't done so already you can enroll now for Fall 2020 classes. Fall promises the same full variety of classes offered in different modalities including hybrid, online, remote/zoom, a limited number of in-person, and in some cases, a combination of these options. GHC is compassionate about the uncertainty of the re-opening of public schools and daycares and planned the Class Schedule with this in mind.
The quarter will start as planned on September 21, 2020. To help you get started, you can find GHC's Quarterly Class Schedule for Fall 2020 on the GHC web site. The Class Schedule indicates the course modality (on-line, hybrid, remote/Zoom, etc.).
Please Check Your Financial Aid Portal Now
As a reminder, please be sure to login and check your financial aid portal in case there is any additional paperwork you need to complete. For assistance with Financial Aid, visit the Welcome Center & Financial Aid Lobby on the Zoom Virtual Assistance Lobbies web page or email email@example.com.
Access an Advisor
Our educational advisors are ready to work with you to find the best fit for your unique needs and circumstances, and you can connect with them by using the Zoom Virtual Assistance Lobbies, by phone at 360-538-4099, and via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Other campus services such as Registration, Financial Aid, tutoring, the Veterans Center are also available using the contact information above. Additionally, we have Chromebook laptops for students to checkout out if needed.
Don’t See the Information You Need? Try our Frequently Asked Questions Page
We look forward to having you as a part of the Grays Harbor College Community. If you have additional questions, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page or contact us via the Zoom Virtual Assistance Lobbies. Welcome to GHC!
Dr. Ed Brewster
Interim President, Grays Harbor College
Wireless in Schermer Parking Lot!
GHC is providing free wireless internet access in parking lot H of the Schermer (4000) Building on our Aberdeen Campus (view a map). The wi-fi will be available from 6 am to 10 pm each day for current GHC students and is intended for those who are unable to utilize a hotspot or other internet connection from home. If you choose to utilize this option for a wi-fi connection, here’s what you need to know.
- Parking: You must be parked in parking lot H behind the Schermer (4000) Building. (refer to map).
- Login: Open the Settings on your device; Login using your student email and password.
- Stay in Your Car, Stay Healthy: If you are on campus using wi-fi, we ask that you remain in your car. Congregating outside of vehicles will be seen as a violation of the "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order.
- No Restrooms: Make arrangements for restroom needs at an off-campus facility.
- Come Charged: Please make sure you charge your device before you come to campus, as we will not have a place for you to plug devices in.
- Have an Emergency? If you have an emergency, you should call 911.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com or call 360-538-4064.
Have a terrific spring quarter!
From all of us at Grays Harbor College
Chromebooks for Student Checkout
Grays Harbor College is making a limited number of Chromebook laptop computers available for checkout to students for remote learning, using Canvas and Zoom. Eligible students may use the computers and return them at the end of the quarter to the library. Due to an extension of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order, we ask students that need a Chromebook fill out a request form. When a Chromebook becomes available, the library will reach out to schedule a time for verification and checkout.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be registered for and taking for-credit classes spring quarter. Not-for-credit continuing education classes are not eligible;
- Must be able to demonstrate proof of Fall registration and bring a picture ID (drivers license, student ID, etc.);
- And, have access to internet service or able to travel to a wifi hotspot.
Student Emergency Financial Assistance Program
Grays Harbor College offers emergency financial assistance to students who experience a financial emergency or who have unanticipated expenses, causing financial hardship. Emergency assistance is available for expenses which fall outside of the typical student budget, including those related to COVID-19, which may hinder the student’s academic progress. Costs must be for the current academic year while enrolled and actively attending Grays Harbor College. Any costs for a previous or future academic year will not be considered. Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis.