Residency for tuition purposes is determined at the time of application according to information provided on the admissions application. Students are coded with one of three residency statuses:

  • IN – In state (Washington State Resident)
  • OS – In-state (Non-resident)
  • UD – Undetermined

Students will be notified of their residency status at the time of admission. Students with OS or UD status will be charged nonresident tuition rates.

How to Update Residency

Option 1 – Residency Affidavit

Beginning Summer 2021, students qualify for residency if they meet all the following conditions:

  • Received a high school diploma (or equivalent).
  • Maintained a primary residence in Washington for at least one year (12 months) immediately prior to starting their first term at Grays Harbor College. *
  • Affirm that they are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or that they will file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States as soon as they are eligible to apply.

*The first term at Grays Harbor college includes a previous Running Start or Transitions student in their first quarter as a non-Running Start or Transitions student, or a student returning to GHC after an absence of not attending for a year or more.

Residency Affidavit

Option 2 – Residence Questionnaire

If you do not meet the requirements for the Residency Affidavit, you can update your residency status by completing a Residence Questionnaire. All sections of the document must be completed and accompanied by documentation as listed on page 2 of the form.

Residence Questionnaire

Other Options – You may also qualify for In-State Residency through some of the options below.

You May Need to Update Your Residency If…

  • You are being charged higher nonresident tuition rates and you believe you should be classified as a resident. 
  •  You see a Residency Mismatch notification in ctcLink -- this means there is a conflict between your tuition residency and your financial aid residency. To resolve this, you must change either your financial aid residency classification or your tuition residency classification.
  • You were a Running Start or Transitions student. These students may have an “Undetermined” residency status and will be charged non-resident rates until their residency is updated.

Residency Update Deadlines

Any request for a change in residency status must be submitted to the Welcome Center within the first thirty (30) calendar days of the intended quarter. If the questionnaire or affidavit is submitted after thirty (30) days, the reclassification takes effect the next term. We cannot process any residency adjustments for previous quarters.

Who Determines Residency Rules?

Residency policies are set by the Washington legislature and applied uniformly throughout Washington’s colleges and universities. For more details regarding residency classification, please visit Washington Student Achievement Council to review residency policy.

Washington State legislation sets the laws that determine residency under the following statutes, rules and regulations:
State Statute – RCW 28B.15.011 - RCW 28B.15.015 
State Rules and Regulations – WAC 250-18-010   – WAC 250-18-06  

Have Questions?

Please contact the Welcome Center at 360-532-9020.  We can also be reached by email at