An introduction to the fundamental laws of electricity and the principles of magnetism and induction. The course will include a study of Ohm's Law as well as electrical circuit schematic reading, wire repair and use of electrical test equipment. Also included will be a study of the automotive batteries, starting systems and charging systems. The second portion of this course includes the principles of Anti-Lock brake systems. 8 lecture hours; 16 lab hours. Vocational program course. May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
Prerequisites: Placement in MATH 060, ENGL 060 and READ 080; and instructor persmission.
- Demonstrate employability by following safe work practices, being on time, maintaining proper attendance, and properly following written and oral instruction(SP)
- Demonstrate safety and proper work habit (CD, SP)
- Meet NATEF competency criteria in the following areas:
- Demonstrate the use of Ohms Law by solving for unknown values in basic series and parallel circuits. (L, CT)
- Identify automotive electrical components and the symbol for each component.
(CD, L, CT)
- Demonstrate the use of digital multimeter by performing circuit measurements on starting and charging circuits. (CD, IU)
- Demonstrate schematic reading by showing correlation between schematic and actual circuit component. (CD, L, CT, IU)
- Perform service to starting and charging system components. (CD, SP, IU)
- Perform wiring repair. (CD, IU)
- Identify H.E.I. systems. (L, CT)
- Identify component parts of H.E.I. systems and state their purpose. (CD, L, CT)
- Perform bench tests on each component part. (CD, SP)
- Perform diagnostic troubleshooting on H.E.I. systems. (CD, CT, SP, IU)
- Identify the various Anti-Lock brake components used on automobiles and describe the functions of each. (CD, L, IU)
- Diagnose Anti-Lock brake component/system malfunctions. (CD, CT, SP, IU)
- Identify the special tools necessary to properly diagnose and repair Anti-Lock brake components/system malfunction(s). (CD, L)
- Demonstrate proper use of special tools in diagnosing and repairing ABS brake component malfunctions. (CD, CT, IU)
- Disassemble, clean, inspect, and measure all components of an ABS system following established service manual procedures. (CD, L, SP)