Survey of British Literature:Origin to 1800
A history of British literature covering the Anglo-Saxon period to Nineteenth Century with emphasis upon the reactions of literature to the social and political movements and some study of literary forms. Satisfies humanities distribution area D requirement or specified elective for the AA degree.
Prerequisite: A grade of "C-" or better in ENGL& 101.
- experience literature in all four genres
- explore overriding themes in literature
- comprehend important ideas and details from texts
- recognize cultural and historical influences on the world's various literatures
- analyze and synthesize ideas from texts for a variety of purposes
- think critically about readings, and about one's own responses
- understand the structural and technical formal elements of literature
- engage in logical, evidence-backed discussion of literature
- write for a variety of purposes, including to analyze and critique
- take part in productive and effective group discussions and problem-solving sessions