Survey of British Literature: 1800 to Present
A history of British literature covering the Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries and with emphasis on the reactions of literature to the social and potitical movements and some study of literacy forms. Recommended as an introduction to advanced courses in English literature. Satisfies humanities distribution area D requirement or specified elective for the AA degree.
Prerequisite: A grade of "C-" or better in ENGL& 101.
- experience literature in all four genres
- explore overriding themes in literature
- comprehend important ideas and details from texts
- recognize cultural and historical influences on the world's various literatures
- analyze and synthesize ideas from texts for a variety of purposes
- think critically about readings, and about one's own responses
- understand the structural and technical formal elements of literature
- engage in logical, evidence-backed discussion of literature
- write for a variety of purposes, including to analyze and critique
- take part in productive and effective group discussions and problem-solving sessions