The purpose of this course is to expand the student's musical listening pleasure through a brief study of the elements of music and the major periods of music history with an emphasis on the Classical and Romantic Periods. Exploration of music from other cultures will also be included. 5 lecture hours. Satisfies humanities distribution area C requirement or specified elective for the AA degree.
Prerequisites: READ 090 or placement in college level reading; ENGL 095 or placement in ENGL& 101.
The goals of this course are to improve students’ performance in the following areas:
- Comprehend important ideas and details from listening to music and reading the required text.
- Analyze and synthesize ideas from required listening and reading.
- Think critically about listening to music, and about one’s own responses.
- Adapt to a variety of listening perspectives
- Develop essays from critical and analytical responses to listening assignments and the text.
- Analyze and synthesize ideas from listening to and reading about music from a variety of cultures.