This course is designed for preparing elementary education majors for the upper division course or courses which they will take to complete the education degree. This course is also aimed at the student seeking an AA degree who may have an interest more in learning the mechanics of music reading and composition rather than the more general music history taught in MUSC& 105. In addition, this course is aimed at students who wish to major in music, but who do not have enough basic skills to begin the Music Theory sequence. 5 lecture hours. Satisfies humanities distribution area C requirement or specified elective for the AA degree.
Prerequisites: READ 090 or placement in college level reading: ENGL 095 or placement in ENGL& 101.
The goals of this course are to improve students’ performance in the following areas:
- Comprehend elementary note reading, rhythm reading, keyboard identification, interval identification, chord building, and scale building from materials presented in the text and in lectures.
- Analyze and synthesize elementary elements of music from required texts and resources.
- Think critically about listening to music, and about one’s own responses.
- Adapt to a variety of listening perspectives.
- Develop essays from critical and analytical responses to listening assignments, class lectures, and required text.