COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions

Get Virtual Assistance

Virtual assistance for many student services is now being offered through Zoom virtual lobbies.

Visiting Campus

Instructions for students, employees, and guests planning a visit to campus or for on campus classes.

Updates, Resources and Information

Read the most recent update about the upcoming quarter and the impacts of COVID-19 on GHC Operations.


FAQ Topics

General Questions

Can I Come to Campus and Talk with Someone?

No, generally speaking, the campus in Aberdeen and the Riverview/Columbia Education Centers are not open to students or the public.  Once Fall Quarter begins, students in specific classes with an on-campus component may come to campus for their class. 

Buildings on campus will be closed and locked for all purposes other than scheduled classes and limited appointments.

If you need to speak with someone, visit the virtual assistance webpage at or e-mail

Will the cost of tuition be the same for online and remote deliver classes as it was for face-to-face classes?

Yes, tuition is the same for remote delivery as it is for face-to-face classes.

Technology and Internet Questions

What if I'm not familiar with Canvas or Zoom?

The eLearning Office has created a video to help you learn how to use Canvas and Zoom.

What if I can’t log in or need to reset my password?

If you are having trouble logging in, you can join our Technology and Elearning Virtual Assistance Zoom Lobby (M-F from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.) or visit our troubleshooting page.

Can I checkout a laptop from the college?

Grays Harbor College is making a limited number of Chromebook laptop computers available for checkout to students for remote learning, using Canvas and Zoom. Eligible students may use the computers and return them at the end of Fall quarter to the library. Due to an extension of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order, we ask students that need a Chromebook fill out a request form. When a Chromebook becomes available, the library will reach out to schedule a time for verification and checkout.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be registered for and taking for-credit classes Fall quarter. Not-for-credit continuing education classes are not eligible;
  • Must be able to demonstrate proof of Fall registration and bring a picture ID (drivers license, student ID, etc.);
  • And, have access to internet service or the ability to travel to a wifi hotspot.

Request a Chromebook here

I don't have internet at home, how can I access the internet?

See this page on free and low cost local internet access throughout the area. Including service at your house, or locations offering free wifi!

Fall Quarter Registration Questions

Will my class or classes be remote all quarter?

Most classes will remain remote all quarter.  Classes requiring in-person instruction will meet both online/remotely and in-person where social distancing is possible.   Below is a list of programs  that have in-person meetings scheduled. Please note: this information is subject to change, depending on state and federal guidelines/orders. 

  • Nursing
  • Medical Assisting
  • Automotive Technology
  • Carpentry Technology
  • Diesel Technology
  • Natural Resources
  • Bachelor of Applied Science in Resource Management
  • Welding Technology
  • Science Labs

How do I get help if I need assistance registering for fall quarter?

Staff are available to assist you in our Virtual Assistance Lobby:

Are all of the classes I can register for currently listed in the GHC Quarterly Schedule of Classes?

Yes, please visit the class schedule at:

Fall Quarter Class Information Questions

What does ‘remote access/remote instruction’ mean?

During fall quarter, classes will be offered online, remotely, or by alternate delivery methods for the entire quarter. Here is what that means:

  • Online – Some classes will be fully online using Canvas. Online classes do not have a set meeting time.
  • Remote – Some classes will meet remotely.  Remote classes use a form of teleconferencing, such as Zoom, Skype, or ITV.  Some of these remote classes may meet at the same day and time as listed in the schedule.
  • Combination – some courses use a variety of modalities including Canvas and Zoom/Skype.
  • Hybrid - Some courses will use a combination of remote delivery and in-person meetings, practicing social distancing.  As we get closer to the start of the quarter, students will be updated by their instructors via Canvas for these programs and classes:
    • Automotive
    • Medical Assisting
    • Nursing
    • Welding
    • Diesel Technology
    • Carpentry
    • Natural Resources
    • Forest Resource Management
    • Science Labs
  • By Mail A limited number of courses may use instructional packets sent by mail.

How will my instructor contact me on the first day of class?

Information for the quarter will be posted on each class Canvas page regarding modality, syllabus, course requirements, and Zoom links and instructions.

What do students need to do the first week of the quarter (September 21-25)?

Check your Canvas page for each class.  Information on the first week of the quarter will be posted the week before the quarter starts.   

If you are taking a course through Zoom/ITV, be sure to log in on time to receive important course orientation information.  If you are connecting to a Zoom course for the first time, we suggest you do so 5-10 minutes early, so that you are ready at the start of class. 

It is very important that you get started with your studies immediately.  The syllabus will identify reading and other work that is required of you.  To be successful, pay close attention to what is required and when your work is due.  Online classes may provide some flexibility about when you can study, but they still have deadlines.  


How do I get Books for Fall Quarter? 

The GHC Bookstore will not be open for walk-in business at the start of the Fall Quarter.  In order to assist you with your textbooks, staff will be taking all orders online at, and orders will be shipped to your home with a flat rate shipping charge of $4.50. You MUST include a physical address as Fedex cannot deliver to P.O. Boxes.   Books will also be available for pickup on campus beginning September 1st.  For pickup, to meet social distancing requirements, you MUST place your order online.  Once you have placed your order, bookstore staff will communicate with you to make an appointment for pickup.

Students with sponsored student accounts ex: (BFET, OPP Grant, L & I etc.) have the ability to order textbooks via the website as well, and can charge their books to their account. When placing your online order, students with accounts will select A/R CHARGE as the tender. If A/R tender is selected, and an account/funding cannot be verified, the order cannot be shipped and will not be processed until another payment method is provided. Please make certain you have entered a valid student ID and contact phone number so that we may contact you if needed.

Should you have any questions, the best form of contact is via email:  Alternately, you can call the Bookstore at 360-538-4105. 

Educational Support Services

Will students be able to access educational support services such as the computer labs, library, and writing center in person during fall quarter?

Most services will remain virtual for fall quarter.    Information about opening of on-campus services will be announced if/when it becomes available.  Please note: this information is subject to change, depending on state and federal guidelines/orders.

How can I get help with Canvas and any online issues I may be having?

If you are having trouble logging in, you can join our Technology and Elearning Virtual Assistance Zoom Lobby [link:] (M-F from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. & 1:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.) or email

How is the learning center going to operate with remote access?

The Learning Center will offer remote access through our eTutoring program. eTutoring is a service provided by Washington state community colleges to provide online tutoring throughout the state. To log into the program go to: and use your GHC e-mail and password to log in.  eTutoring provides tutoring in the following areas:

  • Accounting
  • American Sign Language (ASL)
  • Anatomy & Physiology
  • Biology
  • Calculus
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
  • Math
  • Microsoft Office
  • Physics
  • Spanish
  • Statistics 
  • Web Development
  • Writing Lab

How can students utilize the library with Remote learning?

Many of the Library’s products and services are still available. The library’s web page, is a great starting place. We can be contacted by e-mail at for general library questions. We have the following available:

  • You can access most of our full-text databases from home simply by using your GHC e-mail and password. Go to the Library home page, click on the “Search & Find” tab, and search databases in your subject area. If you are having any problems finding articles that are helpful don’t spend too much time struggling.  Contact a reference librarian at
  • The vast majority of our books are ebooks, and are available to you anywhere. Go to the home page, click on the “Search & Find” tab, and search “Library Catalog” or to find books you need.
  • There is a reference librarian available to help you 24 hours a day! There are several ways to work with a librarian during this time:
  • The Timberland Regional Library is also making a lot of resources available to you. You can get an online library card at that will be good for 3 months. This will give you access to ebooks, audiobooks, streaming movies, and reference databases. You can see a good list of their online resources here 

How can I access the Writing Center?

Visit the Writing Center’s website at and follow the instructions to make use of the Writing Center’s synchronous and asynchronous services.

Tuition Payment Information

When is Tuition for Fall Quarter Due?

Fall Quarter Tuition is due 8/31/2020

How can I pay my tuition?

For payment you have two options:

  • You can pay the full balance online at To do so you will need your SID and your Global Pin.
  • The other option do a payment plan. The payment plan form is available at, fill it out online and then save to your desktop and send the form to The cashier will send you the amount of your initial payment plus the 3 payments that your tuition will be split into. Then send a cashier’s check or money order to the address below for the initial payment and all the following payments.

We are encouraging a cashier’s check or money order because even though the amount is put onto your account. The check may not make it to the bank right away. We are trying to avoid NSF checks which would add an extra $35.00 to your account.

Please have the check made out to Grays Harbor College.

Grays Harbor College
Attn: Cashier
1620 Edward P. Smith Dr.
Aberdeen, WA 98520

How can I make a payment on a payment plan?

Currently we are unable to accept payments in-person or on the phone.  Personal checks are not encouraged because we don’t exactly know when the checks will be processed by the bank and we don’t want students to incur NSF fees due to the lag in processing.

You can instead mail a money order or cashier’s check to:

Grays Harbor College
ATTN: Cashier
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive
Aberdeen, WA  98520

Financial Aid Questions

When will my Fall Quarter financial aid refund be available?

Financial aid is typically available beginning the first day of the quarter.  For fall 2020 the first disbursements will be available on approximately 9/21/2020.

Why isn’t there any financial aid showing on my portal for fall?

Financial aid may not be showing because we still need additional information from you.

  • Check the “Information We Need From You” section of the FA portal page to see if you are missing any items.
  • Some common items to look for would be suspensions, missing documents, or Limited Aid Eligibility.
  • Use the links provided on the portal to complete the process for the missing item.  If you have questions, contact the Financial Aid Office. 

How long will it take to process my appeal?

Completed appeal packets will take about 3-4 weeks to process.

I haven’t used or I’ve lost my BankMobile card, how do I get a new one?

Is my old Higher One (or BankMobile) card still good?

I received a bright green envelope from BankMobile, what do I do now?

This is your Refund Selection Kit which contains your Personal Code for choosing a refund preference.  If you do not make a refund selection, then a paper check will be mailed to you within 14 days of when the credit balance refund is generated.

Once you have your code, follow these easy steps:

  • Visit
  • Enter your Personal Code
  • Select how you’d like to receive your money 

Emergency Student Funding

I’ve heard about Emergency Funding for Students, where can I find out more information? 

Visit the Emergency Financial Assistance web page at:


How are athletic programs being handled?

You can see our GHC Athletics Return To Play (pub. Aug 14, 2020) that covers information on COVID-19 awareness training, student-athlete screening, on-campus screening protocols, transportation, event management, and more to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep our students and staff safe.

Other Questions

How will on-campus classes work?

Please see our ‘COVID-19 Return to Campus Plan’ if you need to visit one of our campuses.  (Link Coming Soon!)

When can I access the Harbor Landing Food Pantry?

Harbor Landing Food Pantry is open each Tuesday from 10am – 2pm and by appointment. This will be effective throughout spring and summer term. Should you need to contact the Harbor Landing Food Pantry, please visit the website or send an email to

Will COVID-19 impact Winter Quarter course offerings?

Most likely, yes.  Some classes are regularly offered online, and, we may need to continue offering most or all courses remotely, depending on state and federal guidelines and health and safety considerations.  

Will students be able to work on campus?

Not unless the position specifically indicates that it will be on campus, but there are still opportunities open for students to work for the College remotely. These will be advertised on the college website here

How do I get my work study checks on the 10th & 25th?

Payroll checks will be mailed to students based on the address information in the Human Resource office.

How do I pay my parking ticket?

Send an email to stating that you would like the parking ticket added to your account so that you can pay online. The cashier will respond with instructions on which quarter to select so you are paying for just the tickets. The response will also include a link to take you to the webpage to pay. Once you have paid, please respond to the email saying that it is paid so the block can be removed from your account.

  • The request needs to come in an email so there is documentation that it was ok to do so.
  • In order to pay online you will need your SID and global PIN

If I have additional questions, whom should I contact?

While we still don’t have all the answers, if you have additional questions regarding the College, please visit the virtual assistance webpage at