COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions
Get Virtual Assistance
Virtual assistance for many student services is now being offered through Zoom virtual lobbies.
Instructions for students, employees, and guests planning a visit to campus or for on campus classes.
Updates, Resources and Information
Read the most recent update about the upcoming quarter and the impacts of COVID-19 on GHC Operations.
- General Questions
- Technology and Internet Questions
- Summer Quarter Registration Questions
- Summer Quarter Class Information Questions
- Educational Support Services
- Tuition Payment Information
- Financial Aid Questions
- Emergency Student Funding
- Other Questions
Can I Come to Campus and Talk with Someone?
Students in specific classes with an on-campus component may come to campus for their class. Additionally, students can schedule an in-person advising (or other appointment), as long as that appointment is scheduled in advance. To make an appointment for advising, you can contact the Advising Center at 360-538-4099 or e-mail: email@example.com
Buildings on campus will be closed and locked for all purposes other than scheduled classes and limited appointments. If you need to speak with staff, please visit the virtual assistance webpage at https://www.ghc.edu/covid19/va or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Masks are required while on campus. Students and guests must abide by the college COVID response protocols.
Will the cost of tuition be the same for online and remote delivery classes as it was for face-to-face classes?
Yes, tuition is the same for remote delivery as it is for face-to-face classes.
What if I'm not familiar with Canvas or Zoom?
The eLearning Office has created a short course that will help you to learn how to use Canvas and Zoom, and how to be successful in online classes. Watch this short video to get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E70KC2HDrUk&feature=youtu.be
What if I can't log in or need to reset my password?
If you are having trouble logging in, you can join our Technology and eLearning Virtual Assistance Zoom Lobby (M-F from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.) or visit our troubleshooting page at https://my.ghc.edu/Email/Help.
Can I checkout a laptop from the college?
Grays Harbor College is making a limited number of Chromebook laptop computers available for checkout to students for remote learning, using Canvas and Zoom. Eligible students may use the computers and return them at the end of Summer quarter to the library. Due to an extension of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order, we ask students that need a Chromebook fill out a request form. When a Chromebook becomes available, the library will reach out to schedule a time for verification and checkout.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be registered for and taking for-credit classes Summer quarter. Not-for-credit continuing education classes are not eligible;
- Must be able to demonstrate proof of Summer registration and bring a picture ID (driver's license, student ID, etc.);
- And, have access to internet service or the ability to travel to a WIFI hotspot.
Request a Chromebook at: https://forms.ghc.edu/chromebook/
I don't have internet at home, how can I access the internet?
See this page on free and low-cost local internet access throughout the area. Including service at your house, or locations offering free WIFI!
Will my class or classes be remote all quarter?
Some classes will remain remote all quarter. Classes requiring in-person instruction will meet both online/remotely and in-person where social distancing is possible. Please check GHC’s schedule for details.
How do I get help if I need assistance registering for Summer quarter?
Are all the classes I can register for currently listed in the GHC Quarterly Schedule of Classes?
Yes, please visit the class schedule at: https://classes.ghc.edu/
What does ‘remote access/remote instruction' mean?
During Summer quarter, classes will be offered online, remotely, or by alternate delivery methods for the entire quarter. Here is what that means:
- Online – Some classes will be fully online using Canvas. Online classes do not have a set meeting time.
- Remote – Some classes will meet remotely. Remote classes use a form of teleconferencing, such as Zoom, Skype, or ITV. Some of these remote classes may meet at the same day and time as listed in the schedule.
- Combination – some courses use a variety of modalities including Canvas and Zoom/Skype.
- Hybrid - Some courses will use a combination of remote delivery and in-person meetings, practicing social distancing.
- By Mail – A limited number of courses may use instructional packets sent by mail.
How will my instructor contact me on the first day of class?
Information for the quarter will be posted on each class's Canvas page regarding modality, syllabus, course requirements, and Zoom links and instructions.
What do students need to do the first week of the quarter (July 6-9, 2021)?
Check your Canvas page for each class. Information on the first week of the quarter will be posted the week before the quarter starts.
If you are taking a course through Zoom/ITV, be sure to log in on time to receive important course orientation information. If you are connecting to a Zoom course for the first time, we suggest you do so 5-10 minutes early so that you are ready at the start of class.
It is very important that you get started with your studies immediately. The syllabus will identify reading and other work that is required of you. To be successful, pay close attention to what is required and when your work is due. Online classes may provide some flexibility about when you can study, but they still have deadlines.
How do I get Books for Summer Quarter?
The GHC Bookstore is serving students remotely while our physical location is temporarily closed to the public during the college’s remote operations status. In order to assist you with your textbooks, and to meet social distancing requirements, staff will be taking all orders online at www.bookstore.ghc.edu. Students will have the option of selecting “IN STORE PICKUP,” which means once the order is processed our staff will contact you to schedule an appointment to come onto campus to pick up your order, or you can choose FedEx shipping. The cost for shipping depends on the number of items in your order. You MUST include a physical address as FedEx cannot deliver to P.O. Boxes.
Students with sponsored student accounts ex: (BFET, OPP Grant, L & I etc.) have the ability to order textbooks via the website as well, and can charge their books to their account. When placing your online order, students with accounts will select A/R CHARGE as the tender. If A/R tender is selected, and an account/funding cannot be verified, the order cannot be shipped and will not be processed until another payment method is provided. Please make certain you have entered a valid student ID and contact phone number so that we may contact you if needed.
Should you have any questions, bookstore staff are available via phone at 360-538-4105 or 360-538-4106 or via email at email@example.com during normal business hours - Monday-Thursday 7:30 am-4:30 pm & Friday 8:30 am-12:00 pm.
Will students be able to access educational support services such as the computer labs, library, and writing center in person during Summer quarter?
Most services will remain virtual for Summer quarter. Information about opening of on-campus services will be announced if/when it becomes available. Please note: this information is subject to change, depending on state and federal guidelines/orders.
How can I get help with Canvas and any online issues I may be having?
If you are having trouble logging in, you can join our Technology and eLearning Virtual Assistance Zoom Lobby [link: https://ghc.zoom.us/j/94866875536] (M-F from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. & 1:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can students utilize the library with Remote learning?
Many of the Library's products and services are still available. The library's web page, http://ghc.libguides.com/home is a great starting place. We can be contacted by e-mail at email@example.com for general library questions. We have the following available:
- You can access most of our full-text databases from home simply by using your GHC e-mail and password. Go to the Library home page, click on the "Search & Find" tab, and search databases in your subject area. If you are having any problems finding articles that are helpful, don't spend too much time struggling. Contact a reference librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The vast majority of our books are eBooks and are available to you anywhere. Go to the home page, click on the "Search & Find" tab, and search "Library Catalog" or https://tinyurl.com/r2tz9er to find books you need.
- There is a reference librarian available to help you 24 hours a day! There are several ways to work with a librarian during this time:
The GHC Library now offers Curbside Delivery! We offer delivery to the side door of the 1500 Building during your appointment.
- If you need a book, journal, DVD or piece of equipment from the library, there are two ways you can make your request. You can fill out this form to order it or you can place a hold in the library catalog.
- If you need to check out a Chromebook, and are registered for summer courses, fill out this form: https://www.ghc.edu/covid19/faq
- Once we receive your request, we will contact you and set up an appointment for you to get your materials. If you have any questions about picking up materials contact us at 360-538-4050 and leave a message.
When is Tuition for Summer Quarter Due?
Summer Quarter Tuition is due 06/10/2021
How can I pay my tuition?
For payment you have two options:
- You can pay the full balance online at https://www.ghc.edu/pay-for-college. To do so you will need your SID and your Global Pin.
- The other option is a payment plan. The payment plan form is available at https://www.ghc.edu/pay-for-college, fill it out online and then save to your desktop and send the form to email@example.com. The cashier will send you the amount of your initial payment plus the 3 payments that your tuition will be split into. Then send a cashier's check or money order to the address below for the initial payment and all the following payments.
We are encouraging a cashier's check or money order because even though the amount is put onto your account, the check may not make it to the bank right away. We are trying to avoid NSF checks, which would add an extra $35.00 in returned check fees to your account.
Please have the check made out to Grays Harbor College.
Grays Harbor College
1620 Edward P. Smith Dr.
Aberdeen, WA 98520
How can I make a payment on a payment plan?
Currently we are unable to accept payments in-person or on the phone. Personal checks are not encouraged because we don't exactly know when the checks will be processed by the bank and we don't want students to incur NSF fees due to the lag in processing.
You can instead mail a money order or cashier's check to:
Grays Harbor College
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive
Aberdeen, WA 98520
When will my Summer Quarter financial aid refund be available?
Financial aid is typically available beginning the first day of the quarter.
Why isn't there any financial aid showing on my portal for Summer?
Financial aid may not be showing because we still need additional information from you.
- Check the "Information We Need from You" section of the FA portal page to see if you are missing any items.
- Some common items to look for would be suspensions, missing documents, or Limited Aid Eligibility.
- Use the links provided on the portal to complete the process for the missing item. If you have questions, contact the Financial Aid Office.
How long will it take to process my appeal?
Completed appeal packets will take about 3-4 weeks to process.
I haven't used or I've lost my BankMobile card, how do I get a new one?
- Contact the GHC Cashier at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (360) 538-4040.
Is my old Higher One (or BankMobile) card still good?
- Contact the GHC Cashier at email@example.com or call (360) 538-4040.
I received a bright green envelope from BankMobile, what do I do now?
This is your Refund Selection Kit which contains your Personal Code for choosing a refund preference. If you do not make a refund selection, then a paper check will be mailed to you within 14 days of when the credit balance refund is generated.
Once you have your code, follow these easy steps:
- Visit RefundSelection.com
- Enter your Personal Code
- Select how you'd like to receive your money
I've heard about Emergency Funding for Students, where can I find out more information?
Visit the Emergency Financial Assistance web page at: https://www.ghc.edu/studentlife/emergency-assistance
How are athletic programs being handled?
Visit our athletics website for information on GHC’s Athletics programs. Click on the ‘Recruits’ tab to view recent COVID-19 updates.
How will on-campus classes work?
Please see our ‘COVID-19 :Instructions for Student/Guests to a GHC Campus' if you need to visit one of our campuses.
When can I access the Harbor Landing Food Pantry?
Harbor Landing Food Pantry is open each Tuesday from 10am – 2pm and by appointment. Hours will be updated quarterly on the Harbor Landing Food Pantry Website. Should you need to contact the Harbor Landing Food Pantry, please visit the website or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will COVID-19 impact Summer 2021 Quarter course offerings?
Yes, Summer quarter offerings are being impacted by COVID-19, and many classes will be offered remotely. Please check GHC's Summer Class Schedule for course options.
Will students be able to work on campus?
Not unless the position specifically indicates that it will be on campus, but there are still opportunities open for students to work for the College remotely. These will be advertised on the college website here https://www.ghc.edu/hr/current-work-study-job-openings.
How do I get my work study checks on the 10th & 25th?
Payroll checks will be mailed to students based on the address information in the Human Resource office.
How do I pay my parking ticket?
Send an email to email@example.com stating that you would like the parking ticket added to your account so that you can pay online. The cashier will respond with instructions on which quarter to select so you are paying for just the tickets. The response will also include a link to take you to the webpage to pay. Once you have paid, please respond to the email saying that it is paid so the block can be removed from your account.
- The request needs to come in an email so there is documentation that it was ok to do so.
- In order to pay online you will need your SID and global PIN
If I have additional questions, whom should I contact?
Need help with:
- General student questions
- Account issues (MyGHC, Email, Canvas, Office 365)
- General computer operations
The Student Assistance Team (STAT) is a great place to start. A friendly STAT member is available to assist you with your questions or point you in the right direction.
If you have additional questions regarding the College, please visit the virtual assistance webpage at https://www.ghc.edu/covid19/va.