Online classes aren't for everyone. Before you take any online class, you should be confident about your computer and study skills.
The following are widely considered requirements for succeeding in online classes. If you are considering distance education, you should answer "Yes" to all of the following:
- I have access to a computer 5-7 days per week. (The smartphone app is helpful, but you will need a computer to complete a class)
- I know how to connect to the Web using a web browser. Recommended browsers: Current version of Firefox, Chrome, or Safari (Internet Explorer is NOT recommended)
- I can navigate around the Web and know how to use search engines.
- I know how to send and receive e-mail using the e-mail system of my choice.
- I know how to do basic word processing, including cutting and pasting.
- I know how to open, save, download, upload, and manage files.
- The computer I will use meets the basic requirements for online classes.
- I can dedicate 10 to 12 hours a week to work on each online class.
- I can log on to Canvas at least 5 days a week.
- I enjoy communicating in writing.
- I enjoy figuring things out on my own but am able to ask for help when I need it.
- I have a computer back-up plan and keep copies of my work, assignments, quiz answers, and grades!
- I am willing to participate in online lessons, research and discussion forums.