Enrollment Procedures for International Students

We are glad you are interested in attending Grays Harbor College.  At GHC, we strive to educate productive, ethical people who are committed to preserving and enhancing the world’s cultural and natural heritage.  We are currently accepting credit-seeking students that meet the required English proficiency in order to be admitted to Grays Harbor College.

Apply for Admission

All the following documents are required, must have the appropriate supporting documentation, and be submitted by postal service.

  1. Download and Complete the Grays Harbor College Application for Admission
  2. Download the International Student Application Packet and complete the following within it:
    • Supplemental Form
    • Financial Responsibility Statement
  3. Submit your transcripts (in English) from all colleges and language schools you have previously attended.
  4. Proof of English Proficiency (TOEFL or APIEL score)
    • International Students may use one of the following to prove English Proficiency for admissions:
      • Internet-based TOEFL score of 61 or higher or
      • Computer-based TOEFL score of 173 or higher or
      • Paper-based TOEFL score of 500 or higher or
      • APIEL score of 3.4 or 5
  5. Provide proof of medical insurance upon arrival at Grays Harbor College. You may enroll for Student Accident and Sickness Insurance for each quarter you are in attendance at Grays Harbor College.

Transfer Students

GHC welcomes international transfer students.  If you have completed an intensive English Language Program or college level English coursework in the US equivalent to our ENGL& 101 course, you may waive the requirement for the TOEFL by requesting that an official transcript or certificate be sent from your previous college.   Grays Harbor College also accepts transfer credit from university level study outside of the US.  If you have completed University level coursework outside of the US, you must have your transcript evaluated by a NACES member evaluation service.  

After Applying for Admission

After you have submitted above documents and you meet the admission requirements, you will be accepted to Grays Harbor College. Below are the steps after acceptance:

  1. GHC will issue an I-20 form - GHC will mail an I-20 form to you once you are admitted. The I-20 form is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (F-1) - For Academic and Language Students.
  2. Apply for your F-1 visa - You must take the I-20 form to the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate and apply for your visa. Please bring a copy of your Financial Responsibility Statement at the time of visa application. 

    Note:  The I-20 form is a document necessary to apply for a F-1 visa and does not guarantee issuance of the F-1 visa. The issuance of the F-1 student visa is determined by a staff member at the US Embassy or Consulate at the time of visa application.
  3. Arrange your flight - After obtaining a F-1 visa, you may arrange your flight to the United States. If you need to be picked up at the Sea-Tac International Airport, be sure to let us know your flight information as soon as possible.
  4. Housing - We do not have dormitories. The Aberdeen community has listed nearby apartment complexes and houses available for rent. If you would like help with your housing needs, please contact Admissions at admissions@ghc.edu or call 360-532-9020 for assistance. The Grays Harbor Transit (bus) has an extensive route system designed to help with any transportation needs you may have at a very affordable price.
  5. Check-in at the Admissions and Records Office when you arrive - You will be given information on taking the College Placement Test and registering for classes.
  6. Medical Insurance - You must provide proof of medical insurance upon arrival at Grays Harbor College. You may enroll for Student Accident and Sickness Insurance for each quarter you are in attendance at Grays Harbor College.