School Age Care
Develop skills to provide developmentally appropriate and culturally relevant activities and care, specifically: preparing the environment, implementing curriculum, building relationships, guiding academic/social skill development, and community outreach. May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
- Describe the physical, cognitive, social and emotional stages of children ages 5-12
- Develop a plan to create reciprocal and culturally sensitive relationships with children and families.
- Analyze the effectiveness of an environment and recommend changes that are culturally retentive, developmentally appropriate, and conducive to positive social interactions.
- Identify guidance strategies that promote cognitive and social growth in the context of school age care environment.
- Describe state and local school age care regulations and procedures related to group size, health, nutrition and safety.
- Describe strategies supporting curriculum that is developmentally appropriate and culturally responsive.
- Identify community resources supporting school age care/youth development program personnel.