Emergency Financial Assistance
Grays Harbor College offers emergency assistance to students who experience a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses, causing financial hardship. The purpose of emergency financial assistance is to provide a low barrier option for students who are experiencing unexpected emergency expenses. The goal is to cover expenses that affect a student’s ability to stay in college and complete their education. Students may seek support with temporary, short-term financial assistance. Emergency financial assistance is not intended to provide ongoing relief of recurring expenses or as a consistent supplement for educational purposes.
Emergency financial assistance is available for expenses outside of the typical student budget that may hinder the student’s academic progress. Costs must be for current year while enrolled at Grays Harbor College. Costs for a previous or future academic year will not be considered. Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis.
The emergency financial assistance program is funded through generous donations from the community and various grants. We encourage all students to apply for this funding when the need arises.
Note: The Emergency Financial Assistance Application will close for Winter 2021 on March 13th at 11:59 pm PST. We will not accept any additional applications for students registered for Winter 2020 after this date. If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
Expenses Covered by Emergency Funding
Examples of emergencies to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Emergency medical expenses, prescription eyeglasses, or essential dental work
- Food or transportation needs
- Travel expenses due to serious illness or death in the immediate family
- Overdue utility bills reaching a turn-off notice
- Homelessness or sudden loss of housing
- Loss of childcare
- Safety needs, including the needs of victims of domestic violence
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire or natural disaster
- Technology needs
- Textbooks and other program required supplies
- Tuition and fees
All currently enrolled and actively attending Grays Harbor College students may apply for emergency financial assistance. Each applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Experience an emergency, accident, illness, or other unforeseen event among the “covered” examples above
- Currently enrolled student at the college;
- Able to provide documentation of potentially covered expenses (ie copy of the bill, etc).
- Submit a completed application online.
- You will receive an email to set up a meeting time to discuss your application with a Student Life staff member. Make sure to check your email after submitting your application (typically within 24 hours) for information on setting up this meeting.
- Staff will evaluate the application and make a decision regarding the request. Students will be notified through email if they have been awarded or denied. We will strive to complete each request within 4 days.
- Staff will follow up with an email 10 and 45 days after the application has been processed. We ask all students to please complete the follow up surveys so that we can track the impact of this program.
General Award Information
- A decision on your request will be made without discrimination to race, religion, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sex, national origin, disability, or age.
- You will be notified via email about the decision of your request.
- Due to fund availability, some requests my not be fully covered.
- A response should be expected within four calendar days.
- If awarded, depending on the fund source, payments may be made directly to a vendor or released to you via your selected BankMobile refund preference and could take between 3-10 days to be dispersed.
- Applications won’t be considered if the student failed to follow instructions or attend the initial meeting with a staff member.
- If additional information is requested and not received, then the application won’t be considered.
For information on the application or award process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-538-4078.
Looking for additional resources for food assistance, utility assistance, or housing assistance? Check out our Student Resource Page.