World Class Scholars
The World Class Scholars (WCS) program is a partnership between local school districts, Grays Harbor College, and the Grays Harbor College Foundation. This partnership provides a pathway to a college education for students through Grays Harbor and Pacific Counties, beginning as early as 9th grade, and provides a scholarship to students who complete the program.
Grays Harbor College recruits and administers the WCS program, introducing local students to the concept of higher education, and a pathway to accessing higher education at Grays Harbor College. The Foundation funds the scholarship program through donations and grants and annually presents scholarship awards to student recipients who complete the program. In 1999, WCS received the Innovation in Education Award from the United States Senate and continues to be a vital program to students in the Twin Harbors region.
How Does It Work?
Students are invited to sign a contract committing to several scholastic, leadership, and community service goals to be met before their high school graduation. Grays Harbor College offers the commitment of entrance to GHC along with a scholarship award from the GHC Foundation to each World Class Scholar for their first year at GHC. The World Class Scholars Scholarship is available for 25 months after high school graduation.
Get Involved Now!
Students can sign up for the World Class Scholars program at their schools in Grays Harbor & Pacific County or using the form below.
The students commit to:
- Attend and graduate from a Grays Harbor or Pacific County School.
- Enroll in the World Class Scholars program as a ninth grader.*
- Complete 40 hours of community service by senior year.*
- Submit any required materials of the program.
- Participate in any required events of the program.
*Transfer students may sign up after ninth grade, requiring they complete 10 hours of community service for each year that they are a part of the World Class Scholars program.
Community Service Requirement
- If community service hours are a high school graduation requirement, then student may use the same hours to meet the World Class Scholars requirement.
- The World Class Scholars Coordinator will work with high school counselors at the end of the student’s senior year to confirm that this requirement has been met.
- Any community service form accepted by the high school will also work for the World Class Scholars program. The generic community service form below may also be used.
World Class Scholars Coordinator Contact Information