Frequently Asked Questions About the BAS in Teacher Education

General Program Questions

Can I get a Special Education endorsement through GHC?

At this time, GHC does not offer Special Education endorsement courses, however Centralia College does offer the endorsement and may allow students to take coursework through both locations in order to earn that endorsement.

Can these programs be taken one class at a time, or must they be completed in sequence at a full credit load?

BAST is designed as a full-time, six-quarter program.  There are a total of 23 courses for a total of 101 credits.

Classes are scheduled in the late afternoon/early evening. Are there any day-time commitments?

Yes. BAST students are expected to be in an elementary school classroom at least one day a week (or two half-days a week) each quarter of the first year of the program (30 hours per quarter). In the second year, students are expected to complete at least 540 hours student teaching.  That includes 90 hours in the fall, including helping mentors prepare for the school year;  300 hours in the winter, including a minimum of 5 sequential weeks of full-time student teaching in winter quarter; and 150 hours student teaching in spring quarter with a focus on ELL teaching strategies.

Why are the classes only offered at night?

The GHC BAST program has been designed to be offered in the evening to allow our students the ability to continue working, as much as possible, while they attend class. This is especially important for our students who are working in the school districts.

I have a Bachelor’s degree already. Do I need to take all of the classes?

Depending on the previous degree that applicants have earned, some classes can be waived. However, in many cases individuals who hold a current bachelor’s degree will need to take a majority of the BAST classes to ensure that students complete required content to be recommended for a teachers certification.

Alternative Route Options

Grays Harbor College is approved to offer four (4) alternative routes to teacher certification.  The four alternative routes include:

Route 1:  For district staff para educators with an associate degree with a current para educator certification.

Route 2: For district staff with a bachelor’s degree or higher. 

Route 3: For “career changers” with a bachelor’s degree or higher. 

Route 4: For district staff with a bachelor’s degree or higher and a limited certificate with OSPI. 

Other Pathway Options

  • The Native Pathways Bridge Program is a direct transfer Associate of Arts (AA) degree.
  • Student who have earned an AAS in Early Childhood Education
  • Students who hold a current teacher’s certificate in the State of Washington can obtain their ELL endorsement

Are any of the BAST classes offered in the summer?

At this time GHC does not offer any BAST courses in the summer.

What are the modality options offered?

The BAST courses are currently offered in person, zoom and remote learning modalities. This may change as determined by the health and safety guidelines from the Department of Health, the CDC and the college.

How often is each class offered?

BAST classes are offered once a year on a predetermined sequence.

Can I work at a school while enrolled in the BAST program?

The GHC BAST program is designed with evening classes to allow our students that ability to continue working while they attend class.

What if I get below a B- in a BAST class? Will I need to retake it?

All coursework in the BAST program must be passed with a 2.7 GPA (B-) or higher. Any grade below that would require that course to be retaken at the next opportunity.

Application questions

When are applications to the BAST program due?

Applications are accepted in Winter quarter for the following Fall cohort. Application deadlines will be announced mid-January.

How quickly do students hear back after applying to a BAST program?

Applicants should receive notification within one month after the application deadline.

How do I know if I have been accepted to the program?

Applicants will receive an email communication when a decision has been made.

Are students entering BAST are required to have a background check?

Yes.  Having a clear Washington Access to Criminal History (WATCH) is a condition for acceptance to the program.  Students will pay the $12 fee to the cashier in building 2000 and email the receipt to the BAST program manager to complete the process.  This is due prior to acceptance to the program.

Do I have to start in Fall?

Yes. New students are only admitted for Fall quarter.  Exceptions may be made based on past bachelor level or higher successful coursework.

What needs to be included with the application?

The application to the BAST program includes:

  • a $25 application fee
  • a short (500-750 word) essay (see directions below)
  • resume
  • transcripts from all college coursework (copy with application and official to be sent to the college for official evaluation),
  • 3 letters of recommendation
  • WATCH clearance ($12).
  • Essay question: WA teachers are expected use understanding of individual differences and diverse cultures and communities to ensure inclusive learning environments that enable each learner to meet high standards. BAST students will receive guidance about how to do this as a teacher during the program. What background knowledge, skills, and/or experiences do you bring to the BAST program that will help you meet this standard?

Testing questions

Do I need to pass the WEST-B to graduate?

No, The WEST-B needs to be attempted prior to starting the program.

Do I need to pass the WEST-E to graduate?

No, the WEST-E is required to earn an ELL endorsement. The BAST program does not require this test.  As part of the requirements to graduate, students will have taken the courses necessary to qualify for this endorsement.  It is highly recommended that students take and pass the WEST-E with a score of 240 or more to be recommended for the endorsement. This is currently an in-demand endorsement area.

Do I need to pass the NES subtests I and II to graduate?

Yes, both Elementary Education subtests of the NES must be passed with a score of at least 220 to qualify as a passing score.

Do I need to get a passing score on the Student Teacher Portfolio (STP) to graduate?

Yes. Grays Harbor College has adopted a Student Teacher Portfolio as the culmination project for program. This portfolio will need to receive a passing score in order for students to graduate.

General questions

Who do I contact if I have additional questions?

For the Teacher Education program, call thee program manager at 360-538-4012 or email if you have questions.

State Certification Questions

Where can I find the information on the requirements to become a certified teacher?

The requirements to graduate from GHC with a BAS in Teacher Education are listed on our webpage (  Once accepted to the program, students will also receive a handbook with all the requirements for the program.   State certification requirements can be found on the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction webpage (

How long is a teacher certification good for?

When a residency first issue certificate is valid for 1.5 years after you begin full-time teaching.  When it is reissued, it will be valid for five years.